Just this month in the news, there was a young man who overdosed on soy sauce and went into a coma. This condition is called hypernatremia, where there was too much salt in the blood. Fortunately the doctor’s managed to stabilize his condition and he survived. This case was published in the Journal of Emergency Medicine.
All foods have to be taken in moderation. No exceptions.
Here are some foods that’s possible to overdose on:
Eating too many carrots can bring in too much beta-carotene. This can lead to excess blood carotene which can discolor the skin. This condition is known as carotenemia. However not to be alarmed as carotenemia is a mostly harmless where one can easily recover from.
- Tuna Sushi
Eating too much raw tuna can increase the intake of mercury. Mercury can cause severe neurological problems. FDA advises pregnant women and young children to avoid eating too much tuna.
Too much caffeine can cause insomnia, restlessness, nausea, irregular heartbeat, muscle tremors, anxiety and headaches.
Common symptoms for star fruit intoxication include hiccups (the most common symptom, especially in mild intoxication), vomiting, weakness, and insomnia. Those with kidney problems should avoid pure, sour star fruit juice and mild, diluted pickled juice in large amounts, especially on an empty stomach.
Water intoxication occurs when a person drinks so much that the water dilutes the concentration of sodium in the blood, creating an electrolyte imbalance.
When overdose, might even cause hallucinations.
Read more about this case – Survival of Acute Hypernatremia Due to Massive Soy Sauce Ingestion